Thursday 13 June 2013

Coffee Shop Dialogue.


"Mind if I sit here?"

He queried, already throwing his jacket carelessly on the back of the chair across from her. She glanced his way briefly and nodded. All the other tables in the small coffee shop were already crowded.

"Perhaps not exactly the colours of the rainbow, but the spirit of a rainbow." She was mumbling to herself in a low tone. A smiled leaked from his face a little as he sat down.

"Goodness, I wouldn't have come if I'd have known it would be this busy." her eyes flashed with annoyance as he spoke, "But, I just had to get out of the house and breath for goodness sake, you know?"

"Sure, I know." She said shortly.

He ordered a doughnut and then proceeded to pull out an obtrusively large pad of plain paper. "I.. I really hope I'm not bothering you."

She looked up, "Certainly not." (Though her expression implied otherwise.) She didn't take her eyes away immediately though. He was busy stirring his coffee, and somehow his hair fascinated her. All silky and reddish-gold, like her brother's had been.

"Have yooouu.. uhhh.. tried the vanilla creme doughnut?" She attempted awkwardly. He wondered if she really did much talking. "It's not on the menu yet, but they're serving it."

He grinned, "No, I haven't! I really don't come here much, so I wouldn't know. Should have ordered it! Maybe I will yet!"

"Mmmhm." And having nothing more to say she dropped her head again with an expression of the prevailing awkwardness she had felt in trying to make conversation. But he thought it was sweet, that she was sweet. Or perhaps it was just those precious freckles that sprinkled her nose and cheeks, they did rather give him the impression of little chocolate shavings in a candy shop.

He looked down at the sketch she was drawing. "I like it. I hope you don't mind. I do a little doodling myself."  He grinned again, evidently trying to make himself pleasant. He couldn't see her eyes smoldering darkly as she kept her head bent over her paper. "It's one of the simple pleasures of life, I believe. To just sit down at a piece of paper and almost mindlessly move the pencil. Like children! Ah, but they do know how to enjoy life. Why it..."

She snatched up her paper suddenly and her eye flashed in the reflection of his own. "For your information, Mr.. Mr.. .. For your information! I am not a child and I do not doodle and I happen to be insulted by your.. your.. loquaciousness!"

And the sweet thing and her precious freckles were out the door before the poor fellow had time to sneeze. "Gracious, now there's someone who can emphasize italics right into a sentence!" He sighed as he watched her little fedora-clad head out of sight through the window. He hated vanilla creme anyways.


1 comment:

  1. This is so endlessly adorable, all of it. I savored reading it. Heartwarming! I like his silky reddish gold hair and I like her spirit and her chocolate shavings of freckles. This whole story was just so cute I could cry.
    You're the bestest in the westest, Madame.

    -kisses-

    A.

    ReplyDelete